Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
This is the branch of surgery that deals with surgical or endovascular interventions to solve or improve the prognosis for blood vessels’ diseases.
Removal, replacement, derivation and repair techniques are used. The reference physician for this branch of surgery is the vascular surgeon.
The main diseases treated are:
- aortic aneurysm
- peripheral arteriopathy
- cerebrovascular deficiency
- venous insufficiency
The most common procedures are:
- surgical, hybrid or endovascular repair of aortic aneurysm
- endoarterectomy, percutaneous angioplasty or amputation for the treatment of steno-obstructive peripheral pathology
- endoarterectomy or carotid stenting for the treatment of cerebrovascular insufficiency
- sclerotherapy, stripping or venous ablation in cases of venous insufficiency